Mississippi Valley State fires Payne after 5 seasons
- Kansas C Azubuike back for senior season
- Georgia Tech C Banks declares for draft
- SEC's Sankey: Waivers cause difficulties
- Zags F Tillie enters draft, may return
- Wake Forest F Hoard staying in draft
ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP) Mississippi Valley State has fired coach Andre Payne after five seasons.
The school announced Monday that it has decided not to renew Payne's contract. Payne was hired by the Delta Devils in 2014 and had a 31-132 record, including a 26-64 mark in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
MVSU was 6-26 this year, including 4-14 in the SWAC.
Athletic director Dianthia Ford-Kee released a statement saying the school "would like to thank coach Andre Payne for his service to the university and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The search for a head coach will begin immediately."
Updated March 25, 2019