Rivera decides to rest Newton, other star players vs. Bills
- Steelers' Roethlisberger done for season
- Brees has torn ligament, out 6 weeks
- OBJ stars in MetLife return, Browns roll
- Miami DB Fitzpatrick traded to Steelers
- Jets QB Siemian exits with ankle injury
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) The Panthers say quarterback Cam Newton and four other key starters will not play Friday night against the Buffalo Bills.
Panthers coach Ron Rivera had indicated on Wednesday that all of his starters would play against the Bills, including Newton.
None of those decisions are injury-related.
Newton has not played in a game since Dec. 17 and underwent offseason surgery on his right shoulder but has been practicing. Kuechly got dinged up in practice two weeks ago, but has since returned and participated in both joint practices against the Bills earlier this week.
Kyle Allen will start at quarterback for Carolina.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated August 16, 2019