|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Crew beat Red Bulls 1-0 in Game 1 of Eastern semifinals
European Football Headlines
- Pulisic captains US in Sarachan finale, 1-0 loss to Italy
- How to qualify for soccer's 2020 European Championship
- Newcomer Kosovo secures playoff spot in Euro 2020 qualifying
- World champion France beats Uruguay to cap successful year
- Neymar picks up apparent groin injury during Brazil friendly
- France forward Mbappe injured vs. Uruguay
- UEFA looks again at video review in Champions League
- Greece investigates display of Nazi symbols at Estonia game
- US to play Costa Rica on Feb. 2 at San Jose, California
- UEFA, Europe's top clubs dismiss threat of new competitions
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored his 20th goal of the season in the 61st minute, helping the Columbus Crew beat the Supporters' Shield holder New York Red Bulls 1-0 on Sunday in the opening game of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
The second leg is next Sunday in Harrison, New Jersey.
Zardes had a sliding finish of a back-heel pass from second-half substitute Federico Higuain. It was Zardes' third career postseason goal.
New York goalkeeper Luis Robles denied Pedro Santos' open shot from distance in the 89th, and Steffen blocked Bradley Wright-Phillips' glancing header in stoppage time.
New York's best scoring chance came in the 27th minute when Tim Parker headed a corner kick off the post that deflected off Steffen and was cleared away.
Columbus entered off a penalty-kick shootout victory over D.C. United while New York had a bye following its third Supporters' Shield title in six seasons. The Crew are the only Eastern Conference team New York hasn't beaten this year.
The teams have met three previous times in the postseason with the Crew winning each one.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated November 4, 2018