|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Remedi scores 1st MLS goal, Atlanta beats NYCFC in 1st leg
European Football Headlines
- Sarri must face up to own failings in Chelsea blame game
- Casemiro getting back to his best with Madrid
- With Verratti out, PSG coach Tuchel needs Rabiot back now
- Messi comes off bench to help Barca beat Leganes 3-1
- Dembele scores with late header as Lyon beats Saint-Etienne
- Callejon ends scoring drought as Napoli beats Lazio 2-1
- Dembele hurts leg in Barcelona victory
- Caligiuri rescues Schalke with 2 goals against Wolfsburg
- Amid injury crisis, Tottenham finds scoring hero in Winks
- China to play Iran in Asian Cup quarterfinals
NEW YORK (AP) Eric Remedi scored his first MLS goal in the 37th minute and Atlanta United beat New York FC 1-0 on Sunday in the first leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Atlanta, which has won 11 of its 18 road games this season, hosts the second leg next Sunday.
Remedi tapped in a rebound after Josef Martinez's one-touch shot was blocked by Sean Johnson and settled against the post.
Johnson made a big save of Greg Garza's breakaway shot in second-half stoppage time.
Miguel Almiron appeared to open the scoring in the 20th minute but it was disallowed after a video replay ruled Atlanta was in an offside position during the buildup. Atlanta defender Franco Escobar sent a point-blank shot wide in the 34th.
NYCFC has reached the conference semifinals in three straight seasons but has lost the first leg in each.
Updated November 4, 2018