Lyon, Barca win 1st legs of Women's Champions League semis
European Football Headlines
- Rooney gives DC United 1-1 tie with New England
- Mezquida scores late to lift Rapids past Crew, 3-2
- Romain Métanire scores, Minnesota United beat Dynamo 1-0
- Kaku, Omir Fernandez lead Red Bulls over FC Cincinnati 2-0
- Timbers cap 12-game trip with 3-1 win over Union
- Ali Adnan helps Whitecaps beat FC Dallas 2-1
- Despite double, Bayern coach Kovac waiting for assurances
- Valencia beats Barcelona 2-1 to win the Copa del Rey
- Mitrita's long-range goal gives NYCFC 1-1 draw with Fire
- Brazil's Marta injures left thigh in World Cup training
LYON, France (AP) Defending champion Lyon defeated Chelsea 2-1 Sunday in the Women's Champions League semifinals, and Barcelona beat host Bayern Munich 1-0.
Watched by a crowd of almost 23,000, Delphine Cascarino opened the scoring for Lyon in the 27th minute and Amandine Henry doubled the lead for the French hosts before halftime.
Chelsea's Fran Kirby had a penalty kick saved by Sarah Bouhaddi, but the English side grabbed a valuable away goal thanks to a long strike by Erin Cuthbert in the 72nd.
Lyon has won the European title for the past three seasons.
Kheira Hamraoui scored for Barcelona almost midway through the second half. Bayern almost equalized when Sara Dabritz hit the crossbar with a free kick in the 90th.
The second legs are next Sunday.
The final is on May 18 in Budapest.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated April 21, 2019