Mitrita, Héber help NYCFC snap skid, beat DC United 2-0
European Football Headlines
- Silva's volley lifts RSL to 1-1 draw with Minnesota United
- Wondolowski, Earthquakes hand Whitecaps 5th straight loss
- Mitrita lifts NYCFC over 10-man Rapids, 2-1
- Badji, Ferreira score; FC Dallas beats Sporting KC 2-0
- Dynamo beat Toronto FC 3-1 to snap 8-game road losing streak
- Fabián, Fontana score; Union beat Fire 2-0
- Crew snap 10-game winless streak, beat Impact 2-1
- FC Tokyo beats Shimizu 2-0 to stay top of J-League
- Hernandez scores winner for Leeds in injury time
- Senegal loss a missed chance for Mane, more pain for Cisse
WASHINGTON (AP) Heber Araujo dos Santos scored and assisted on a goal by Alexandru Mitrita and New York City FC beat D.C. United 2-0 on Sunday for its first victory of the season.
NYCFC (1-1-5) snapped an eight-game winless streak, dating to the 2018 MLS playoffs.
Heber tapped it to Mitrita, who rolled it between two defenders and past a diving goalkeeper Bill Hamid from the center of the area to make it 1-0 in the 35th minute.
Ronald Matarrita first-timed an arcing pass to at the corner of the 6-yard box, where he half-volleyed a left-footer just inside the near post to cap the scoring in the 56th. It was Heber's first MLS goal in his third career appearance and his first start.
D.C. United (4-2-2) was outshot 18-10.
Sean Johnson had three saves in his third shutout of the season for NYCFC.
Updated April 21, 2019