UEFA allows Mechelen in Europa League amid open fixing case
European Football Headlines
- Olympiakos beats Red Star 1-0 with late penalty in CL
- Atlético beats Lokomotiv 2-0 to advance in Champions League
- Atalanta, Atlético complete Champions League lineup
- Bayern beats Tottenham 3-1, wins all its group games in CL
- Ronaldo scores as Juventus beats Leverkusen in Champs League
- Jesus nets hat trick as Man City eliminates Dinamo in CL
- Atalanta advances in CL after beating 10-man Shakhtar 3-0
- MLS veteran Sacha Kljestan signs with hometown LA Galaxy
- Madrid concludes CL group phase with 3-1 win at Brugge
- Napoli hires former Milan coach Gattuso to replace Ancelotti
NYON, Switzerland (AP) UEFA says Mechelen can enter the Europa League, though it will monitor any fresh developments in the Belgian match-fixing scandal.
Mechelen earned its Europa League group-stage place by winning the Belgian Cup last season while under investigation for suspected fixing of top-tier league games late in the 2017-18 season.
A Belgian sports court ruled last week on a legal technicality that Mechelen could not be punished with demotion to the second tier this season.
UEFA rules prohibit clubs entering the Champions League and Europa League while implicated in fixing matches.
The European soccer body says Mechelen is currently allowed in the Europa League "without prejudice to the potential reopening of the proceedings should further information arise in relation to the facts and/or merits of this case."
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated July 16, 2019