Prized defender De Ligt undergoing medical with Juventus
European Football Headlines
- Napoli beaten 2-1 by Parma in Gattuso's debut
- Barcelona's disputed draw adds fuel to upcoming 'clásico'
- Super sub Radonjic scores as Marseille draws 1-1 at Metz
- Hertha's under-16s stop playing after alleged racist abuse
- Liverpool faces Monterrey in Club World Cup semifinals
- Coutinho stars as Bayern bounces back to rout Bremen 6-1
- Brighton & Hove Albion-Crystal Palace Preview
- Liverpool extends EPL lead as Leicester draws, Chelsea loses
- West Ham beats Southampton 1-0, eases pressure on Pellegrini
- Fleck gives Sheffield United 2-0 win over Aston Villa in EPL
TURIN, Italy (AP) Matthijs de Ligt has undergone medical exams with Juventus ahead of an expected 70-million euro ($80 million) transfer from Ajax.
Juventus shared photos and videos on social media of De Ligt's arrival in Turin late Tuesday and of fans awaiting him outside the club's training facility when the Dutch defender showed up early Wednesday.
De Ligt is expected to sign a contract worth 8 million euros per season before being formally presented on Thursday.
The 19-year-old De Ligt was captain of the Ajax squad that reached the Champions League semifinals last season, having scored the winning goal against Juventus in the quarterfinals.
The highly regarded center back is set to join a veteran defense featuring Juventus stalwarts Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci.
"For a defender, Italy is always ideal," Mino Raiola, De Ligt's agent, told reporters. "Great champions always work well together."
De Ligt is the latest arrival of a strong transfer market showing for the eight-time defending Serie A champions.
On Monday, midfielder Aaron Ramsey was presented by Juventus after joining from Arsenal on a four-year contract. Adrien Rabiot, another midfielder, switched over from Paris Saint-Germain, earlier this month, and goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is also back after one season away at PSG.
Plus, with Cristiano Ronaldo entering his second season at Juventus, the Turin club is putting together a serious bid to win the Champions League.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated July 17, 2019