Montero's late goal lifts Vancouver into 1-1 tie with Crew
European Football Headlines
- Canada beats US 2-0, ends 34-year, 17-game winless streak
- Yedlin, Bradley, Steffen, Long enter US lineup vs Canada
- Switzerland beats Ireland 2-0 in Euro 2020 qualifying
- Spain qualifies for Euro 2020 with stoppage-time goal
- Italy wins 5-0 against Liechtenstein to equal record
- Ex-soccer star Gascoigne denies train kiss had sexual intent
- Palestinians, Saudis play to draw in historic match
- UEFA leader wants 'war on racists' after English face abuse
- President of Bulgarian soccer resigns after fan racism, loss
- Messi scores 1st goal of season as Barca beats Sevilla 4-0
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Fredy Montero scored on a header in the 94th minute to lift the Vancouver Whitecaps into a 1-1 tie with the Columbus Crew on Saturday night.
The Whitecaps had given up an early goal and looked on the ropes until Montero's heroics. Left back Ali Adnan sent a cross into the box that a leaping Montero was able to direct into the net in the fourth minute of extra time.
Gyasi Zardes scored on a penalty kick in the 18th minute for Columbus (9-15-8), which has never won a game at BC Place Stadium.
Columbus has one loss in its last 11 games (4-1-6). The Crew entered the match six points behind the New England Revolution in the race for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Whitecaps (7-15-10) are 2-3-1 in their last six games and remain last in the Western Conference.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 21, 2019