Sharks D Nikolai Knyzhov tears Achilles tendon
- Czechs tell NHL no Russians in Prague
- Avs focus on Cup defense as camp begins
- Kane, Toews want to stay in Chicago
- Pens' vet trio looks to make another run
- Caps open camp without Backstrom, Wilson
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) San Jose Sharks defenseman Nikolai Knyzhov will miss the first few months of the season with a torn right Achilles tendon.
General manager Mike Grier said Saturday that Knyzhov got hurt while participating in off-ice training. Knyzhov had surgery Wednesday, and the Sharks estimate it'll take about six months to recover.
The 24-year-old Knyzhov missed all of last season with a groin injury and the Sharks were hoping to have him back healthy this year.
He played 56 games in the 2020-21 season, recording two goals and eight assists.
More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 13, 2022